Remember, as you prepare for our first Unit Test, you will have to demonstrate the skills we have been practicing in class, not just the information you have learned. You will need to be familiar with the content of:
- Native American Literature and The Oral Tradition as well as Creation Stories
- Early Explorers and Excerpt from Conquistador ‘De Orbo Novo’
- Chief Powhatan’s Address to Captain John Smith
- Puritan Literature and The Puritan Culture
- William Bradford’s ‘Plymouth Plantation’
- Anne Bradstreet’s ‘T o My Dear and Loving Husband’
- Mary Rowlandson’s ‘Narrative of the Captivity’
But you will also need to show me you can use the skills you’ve practiced with these texts:
- Identifying archetypes
- Identifying theme
- Identifying tone, and pointing to words or phrases the set tone.
- Understanding how a writer appeals to their audience with ethos, pathos and logos.
- Understanding what effects reliability or bias.
- Identifying examples of bias through an author’s language use.
- Summarizing the plot or purpose of these historical texts.
- Analyzing a text for literary devices
- Explaining how those devices make a text more effective.
- Citing textual evidence.
- Writing constructed responses using the RACE method.
- Diagramming sentences with adjectives, adverbs, direct objections and predicate nominatives.
- Vocabulary from the texts in unit 1.
Be sure to review your notes, go back and watch the videos and posts on this site, and feel free to contact me via Remind 101 if you have questions while you review and study.