Over the course of the past week in class you have been assigned one of three African texts – either an epic, a memoir or a short story. With your classmates you had to not only read and understand the story, but also consider what it teaches you about African culture, literature and the experiences of Africans. Below you will find an overview of the assignment you will be working on, as well as links to the story, the reading questions, and the vocabulary needed for the story.
Working in your groups, be sure to completely the following analysis and be able to present your analysis to the class:
- Analyze the title of the text… what does it mean?
What does it symbolize? What does it tell you about the story?
- Define memoir, and explain why your story is a good example of a memoir.
- Be able to summarize the text and walk your classmates through the plot.
- Explain what this text taught you about African culture, or literature.
- Have a visual aid that your classmates can use to gain additional information about your text.
Vocabulary from ‘The Dark Child
Missed some of the notes from class? No problem – Click here for the notes over your classmates’ presentation of ‘The Dark Child’.